Tote Exchange

Welcome to the Tote Exchange where you can sign up to secretly knit and exchange a bag / tote / purse that is knit or knit & felted. The exchange is now closed to new participants, but please remember to post each month with your progress. All participants should receive their package by July 21, 2006.

Monday, June 19, 2006

All Done and Ready to Go


It's knitted; it's felted; it's assembled--whew! I really like how this backpack came out--for starters it doesn't look like a cow-udder warmer anymore. (See my post from May 11 for the "during" photo). It has pockets on the back and inside, the straps are adjustable and you can cinch it shut. I think it's big enough to carry a fair amount of stuff while not so big that you'd loose everything in its dark recesses. My favorite detail, though, is the button, which is modeled after an old-fashioned American buffalo nickel. It's the nice finishing touch for a bag made by an American who lives in the West.

Sadly the youthful figure in the photo does not belong to me, but rather to my DD who I coerced into modeling. Many thanks to Allison and her post about the endless band; her perseverance inspired me to do the final assembly on this. It's off to the post office tomorrow a.m. for the bag's long journey to its new home.

This has been a lot of fun for me and got me to try a pattern that I had literally been contemplating for 2 1/2 years. I sure hope the recipient likes it. AND I'd love to take part again if there's ever another tote exchange.

6 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Blogger Kish said...

That's a really cute backpack! I like the colors and that was a neat touch to add the button like that.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Bonnie O. said...

Steph,
What a great bag!!!! I just love it and you did a super job on it! Your recipient will be very happy, I'm sure.

Bonnie

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger swakins said...

Wow, what a great bag, hope I am your exchange partner!!! LOL.
Whoever gets this will really love it! I would have a hard time giving this bag away if I were you!
Sue in OH

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Stephanie... said...

Thanks everyone! The pattern was in the winter 2004 issue of Interweave knits. I made a few changes such as using a double strand of wool on the bottom (so it would hold up better) and when I knit the flap, I knit it on the long side rather than on the short side (which is how the pattern had it). The short side didn't make much sense to me. I used Cascade 220 because I live in the Cascades and because I had heard it felted really well. It was great yarn--I think I'm going to make myself some slippers.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Allison said...

Steph:

I just love it - what a cool bag. Your pal is very lucky. Glad my post inspired you! I've FINALLY finished the darn band and sewn on one side. Will finish and felt this weekend and hopefully it will have bene worth the effort. You have now inspired me to knit a backpack!

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Evelyn said...

Fabulous job on that backpack. I've bookmarked that page in my IK and I think you've inspired me to get off my *&%^# and make it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home