Tote Exchange

Welcome to the Tote Exchange where you can sign up to secretly knit and exchange a bag / tote / purse that is knit or knit & felted. The exchange is now closed to new participants, but please remember to post each month with your progress. All participants should receive their package by July 21, 2006.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Bag completed, mailed, and received!

Well folks I sent my bag off to Linda on Monday and she emailed me today that she got it!! As I told Linda, I joined this exchange right at the beginning of my pregnancy and it was at the time when I was still feeling good. I shopped around for yarns and patterns and I was all ready to make a nice felted bag.

Well then the morning sickness came on (that is all day sickness) and knitting made me sea sick. I always figured that it would go away. Well here I sit at 23+ weeks into my pregnancy and I am still not back to knitting. It doesn't make me that sea sick now (unless I try it in the car) but I am still not up for it. I am tired and it's a lot of effort and concentration that I am not ready for. I know that sounds lame, especially coming from me who never put her needles down before getting pregnant, but what can you do?

Well I was worried at what I was going to do for this Exchange. I was not about to drop out, and I just couldn't get someone else to knit it for me - so I decided to get crafty. I took this GAP wool sweater (child size) and felted it down in the washing machine:


I then cut and sewed it into a bag... but didn't really like the results. So I took the handles back off, and lined the bag with interfacing and some red snowflake fabric:


I then reattached the handles using the fabric with interfacing and D-rings - for a better look, stronger hold, and longer handles.


Linda - the recipient of my tote, wanted a purse big enough for her wallet, keys, cell phone, check book etc... and I think I came through for her!


Isn't it cute??? I just love it! It stands up by itself (I love that) and it's so festive for the winter!! And you don't even have to shovel it!!! It was hard to part with this bag as I just think it's so cute! Lucky for me I have a few more wool sweaters that will be meeting the washing machine soon! Linda - I'm glad you liked it!! Wear it in good health!

3 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Blogger Allison said...

Oh that is so cool! Very clever and very cute. You may just never want to knit a felted bag again! Linda is a lucky gal. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and I hope the urge to knit returns!

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Bonnie O. said...

Alison: Great bag! Linda is one of my best friends (she taught me to knit) and I gave her your name on purpose, because I knew you'd come through with something really clever. The purse is awesome!

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Bonnie O. said...

I just saw this purse in person and it is even cuter than the picture!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home