Tote Exchange

Welcome to the Tote Exchange where you can sign up to secretly knit and exchange a bag / tote / purse that is knit or knit & felted. The exchange is now closed to new participants, but please remember to post each month with your progress. All participants should receive their package by July 21, 2006.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Guilty Hostess, but Well-intentioned!

Okay, much apologies to my secret purse pal. It's taken much longer than I would have liked to make this project, but I had come across various obstacles along the way that required me to use some limited creativity. Here is my purse - almost near completion!



More details about it can be seen on my blog: Counting Sheep

1st obstacle: I had run out of yarn. I had to improvise by pulling some dark purple yarn from my own stash of Cascade 220 Superwash wool. I know, I know, you're not supposed to use superwash in felted items, but I risked it anyway. I didn't feel like buying another skein just to knit the cast off edge of the ruffles.

2nd obstacle: Felting - After I felted it, it was supposed to be a clutch purse. But when I did the actual felting, it looked.. um... a bit too long lengthwise to me. So I decided to do the next best thing and make it a shoulder bag. On to hunting for a suitable purse handle.

The initial pattern calls for weaving a ribbon through the eyelet holes and leaving it as that. However, I needed a purse handle, too. I didn't like any of the purse handles I saw availabe because most of them were too short. However, after shopping at Joann's ribbon selection to look for an appropriate one, I was inspired by the leather ribbons they had availabe. A purse strap was born...

3rd obstacle: Finishing the purse strap. Should I sew the ends together or find a buckle? The hunt continues today. :)

I hope she will be patient with me. I just don't want to give her a goofy looking bag because that's how it looked like to me initally after I felted it. Heh. :P

2 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Blogger Bonnie O. said...

Looking good so far, Selina!

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger Allison said...

Leather ribbon? What a cool idea. I've never heard of that but it gives me lots of ideas for straps in the future. It's looking good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home